Have you ever had the painful experience of getting hit in the eye, either intentionally or by accident? It happened to me once while I was playing squash. I was standing too close behind my opponent so when he turned to hit the ball, his elbow hit me exactly in the eye. Left or right eye, some of you might want to know? That’s not important, is it. As a language learner, what you must know is that the huge mark that coloured the surrounding skin for many days afterwards is called a BLACK EYE.

Something similar appears when you bang into a hard object, such as hitting your leg against the corner of a table. In this case, the word for the painful mark is BRUISE.

Over to you …

Do you also have different words for this painful mark in your language? What are they? And is a BLACK EYE also black? If not, what colour do you call it?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: